Revised, updated and expanded, Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis is the complete practical guide for anyone dealing with inflammatory bowel disease. Dr. Fred Saibil, a renowned expert on IBD, provides concise and current practical information on Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, and related conditions. There is an entirely new chapter on self-management of IBD, with 7 added tables and drawings to guide you. The book includes important information on:
- Why people get IBD, including the hygiene hypothesis, and new genetic data
- Diagnostic methods, including enteroscopy, capsule endoscopy, CT, MR, and PET scans
- Effects of diet, including foods and food components that can cause diarrhea and gas
- Surgical options
- The expanding choice of drugs, plus probiotics and prebiotics
- Issues specific to children with IBD
- Effects on sex, child-bearing and drug usage during pregnancy and breast-feeding
- Self-management -- how to help your medical team help you
- How to take care of your bones
- How to cope with being in hospital.
For patients, their relatives and caregivers, Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis explains the plain facts about this terrible disease, which seriously affects the daily lives of so many.